The participating insurance regulators across Canada have the authority under their respective insurance legislation to collect statistics from licensed insurers. Statistics are collected in a standardized format as identified in the Statistical Plan manuals and reporting templates as approved by regulators.
There are two mandatory statistical plans, as well as financial information collected by GISA:
- Automobile Statistical Plan - insurers operating in Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador, Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories must report statistics for automobile insurance under this statistical plan.
- Ontario Commercial Liability Statistical Plan - insurers operating in Ontario must report statistics for commercial liability insurance under this statistical plan until the conclusion of the 2022 insurer filings (see the December 2, 2022 communique announcing the retirement of the CLSP). CLSP exhibits for 2022 will still be made available in 2023.
- Financial Information - insurers operating in Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador, Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories must report financial information for automobile insurance under this reporting requirement.
Automobile experience data is collected to provide premium and claim information, which is used to develop and support fair automobile insurance rates. The statistical and financial data collected support the following public policy objectives:
- Monitoring the adequacy of rates to ensure that they are not excessive or unfairly discriminatory;
- Monitoring the adequacy of market structure and performance, and taking steps, if necessary, to restore competition or remedy the problems caused by market instability; and
- Ensuring informed pricing decisions based on aggregate industry experience.
Automobile insurance experience is published in a series of exhibits and reports which are compiled from data that has been collected from all licensed automobile insurers by GISA and contains experience for all participating jurisdictions.
High Level Statistical Plan Data
Widely used statistics from the Actual Loss Ratio exhibits have been captured in a graphical format for your information in Key Measures
The Actual Loss Ratio exhibits for Private Passenger Automobile (AUTO1005 and AUTO1010), along with the Introduction (AUTO1003), can be accessed here:
Private Passenger Automobile - 2022 Data
Contact GISA at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have questions about the information presented.